Thursday, June 14, 2012

Avalanche Bars

I finally had time to bake yesterday.. and by bake, I mean make a yummy dessert! I definitely have a sweet tooth, but only like to sample them.  Good thing the guys Greg works with appreciate my treats :)

I've been meaning to make these Avalanche Bars, from Cookies & Cups, since I pinned them months ago. I was craving something sweet and this did the trick. It is pretty much a glorified rice krispy treat.


Avalanche Bars

12 oz bag of White Chocolate Chips
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter (I used reduced fat)
3 cups Rice Krispies
1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips + a handful for garnish
Lightly greased 8x8 pan

1. In microwave-safe bowl, pour white chocolate chips in and heat on 50% power for 90 seconds. Stir and continue ti heat in 30 second intervals until melted
2. Combine peanut butter with melted chips and stir in the Rice Krispies
3. Let cool approximately 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes to help cool
4. Add marshmallows and 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips and stir to combine
5. Pour mixture into greased pan and spread evenly. Press lightly with the back of your spoon, but not too much or they will be firm
6. Sprinkle a handful of mini chocolate chips on to the top of the bars and lightly press in
7. Once completely cooled, cut into squares

Yup, these are amazing! Apparently Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory makes something very similar. I looked it up on MyFitnessPal, and one bar contains 158 calories.  Not bad, although, I'm unsure the size of one bar ;)  These are by far the hardest thing to give away, but I know it's in my best interest. Seriously though, these are delicious!

xo, Erin

1 comment: