Monday, July 9, 2012

Adventures on the River

Cabrewing: The act of floating down a river in a canoe or raft while drinking alcoholic beverages. Usually done in large groups. No paddeling is involved unless absolutely necessary. As a practical joke, it is a common occurrence to flip over other canoes. Usually done in a shallow body of water where wading is possible. {Urban Dictionary}


Yesterday we went on an 8 mile cabrewing trip. I think it was about 4 miles too long. There comes a point where you just want to be done and we still had a long river ahead of us.


The river was very shallow due to having very little rain. There were many times when we bottomed out in the canoe and had to paddle to start moving. It was sunny and hot for about half of it and it was very tiring. We drank a lot of beer and definitely burned all of it off while paddling. I decided to try paddle surfing because I was tired of sitting. Bad idea: I fell back into the canoe and have a bruised spine. We stopped a few times, but it was rocky on shore so I put my sandals on.  Well, one got stuck in the quicksand. Dang. We also met a few friends along the way and learned how to play 'Beersbee' which was pretty fun.


All in all, it was a fun day but very tiring. Sorry no pictures, I think you can understand why no cameras or phones were taken. We spent last night lying around the house doing absolutely nothing! It felt great to be home all weekend and have no real plans.


What did you do this weekend? Anything exciting?


xo, Erin

1 comment:

  1. We did this in tubes a couple years ago and I felt like I was reliving the experience reading this post!!! I think ours was 5 miles and it took over 7 hours!!!! We ran out of beer, we were tired, we were hungry, and most of all we just wanted to get out of the water!

    ReplyDelete