Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Sandy Treasures

Two years ago, I started collecting sand at beaches and lakes that Greg and I went to. I didn't know exactly what I would do with it, but thought it was a good souvenir.  I was wandering around Michael's one day and found the perfect glass jars for only $1 each. I snatched some up and went home with an idea in mind. The jars just so happened to fit like a glove on a shelf we found at IKEA.


Take a closer look...


I found a template online for a blank gift tag, and just typed in the location and month using Word. I then cut it out and tied it on with string I had around the house. 

Why I love it:
  • It doesn't take up a lot of space
  • I can easily add another shelf as the years go on
  • It is very simple, but serves its purpose
  • I love seeing the sand color variation



Same trip, different sand dunes-- check out the difference between those two

What do you do with your vacation souvenirs? Do you collect sand?

xo, Erin

4 comments:

  1. This is such a cute idea!! I have heard of collecting sand before, but have never heard of anything cool to do with it, which is why I never started collecting it. It looks so clean in the jars up there on the shelf. I really like the variation of sand colors too! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great idea!! Do you know the name of the shelf from IKEA?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIBBA Picture Ledge

      http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20126065/

      Delete