Thursday, March 1, 2012

Homemade Chewy Granola Bars

Two things you should know about me:

1. I am obsessed with Pinterest
2. I bake at least once a week. All my recipes I try have come from Pinterest


I found this recipe while browsing Pinterest during lunch today. I had most of the ingredients in my pantry and knew after work I was going right to Kroger to get the rest.

Oatmeal Chocolate Peanut butter No-Bake Bars--these are a healthy snack!
Pinned here

While reading the recipe, I noticed there were 2 different twists on these delicious-looking granola bars. The picture above is from New Nostalgia who was originally attempting to make these granola bars from Heavenly Homemakers.  I decided I would try and make a combination of them both.  

This is what I started with:


Chocolate Peanut Butter No-Bake Bars

1 cup peanut butter
2/3 cup honey
1/2 cup coconut oil
2 cups oats
1/2 cup dried cranberries
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips (divided)

In a medium saucepan, melt peanut butter, honey and coconut oil over low heat. It should become a creamy consistency after about 5 minutes.

Remove from heat and add oats, dried cranberries and 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips. Stir until combined and chocolate chips are melted. You will notice the mixture darkening up. 

Spread into a 9x9 pan (I prefer thicker bars). Refrigerate to begin hardening. After about 10 minutes and slightly chilled, I sprinkled the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips over the top. It looked something like this:


I thought separating the chocolate chips would be a good happy medium.  Enough to make it a chocolate, peanut butter, chewy goodness and just enough to taste alone on the top and look complete. Now you need to resist temptation and return to the refrigerator until hardened, approximately one hour.

Cut and enjoy. Store in the refrigerator and cut as you eat them.



xo, Erin

1 comment:

  1. Trust me they are delicious, I could do without the craisins, but I'm not complaining.

    -G

    ReplyDelete